Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Bridges!

Baseball had such a great idea! Run the bridges again, like we did last winter.

Except I was in better shape last winter!

That being said, it was an amazing day for this run. One of the few Saturdays where the temperature and the humidity were fairly reasonable. I did say fairly: it was humid enough that Gorgeous and I went shirtless for most of the run, as our shirts were so soaked that they weren't helping to wick the sweat away at all.

But the breeze! Fabulous!

Ran up to GAP, as usual. Then we went down to the Brooklyn Bridge and did a quick over and back. Dancer made short work of all the Boot Camp people doing stairs by threatening them with her sharp elbows. We were through with no problems. And then, amazingly, there were very few tourists on the bridge! What a treat!
After a quick water stop, we ran over to the Manhattan Bridge. Watching the water made the time pass on this one. The girls need to step it up a bit, as Ivy League, the new guy, Photographer, the Scandinavian and Roll Call were all ahead of us. But, we were cuter.

Up to the Williamsburg Bridge. We encountered the North Brooklyn Runners on the bridge. They are quick and they all wear their team shirts, it seems like. We challenged them to a friendly rumble down in Prospect Park. Their uniforms gave them an immediate advantage, it seemed like to me. Oh, and the fact that they were all really fast. Minor details.

Going over the Williamsburg Bridge is so hard in that direction! There's the really long uphill and then the short, steep downhill that poses other problems for the knees. Gorgeous and I sighed quietly after finishing that one. (I'm probably just putting that emotion onto her so that I feel better for how I felt afterwards: she was likely just 'taking it easy' over it.)

I shared my water bottles again with the fellows, who hadn't brought their own. Off, then, to the Pulaski. Up Bedford to Manhattan, then over on Freeman to McGuiness. Then the bridge. Still chugging but really starting to feel the previous 15+ mile run I did on Wednesday.

Then, looming, appeared the Queensboro Bridge. "It can't be THAT high!" exclaimed Gorgeous. I was right there with her. Unfortunately, it was that high. My gluts were on fire over this bridge and, so, I pushed it just to get over the bridge.

An awful lot of bridge for so little water, I think.

Visions of iced coffee pushed me to the end. That, and I figured I could persuade Gorgeous to get a smoothie.

Gorgeous said that we did the last 8 miles at approximately a 8:26 or 8:25 pace. I forget. Not blazing, again, but I'll take it.....About 15 1/2 for me, so I actually got near Old Sarah's number of miles for a week when she was slacking a bit!

Plus, we got to get smoothies. And they were delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment