Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Getting Schooled!

Saturday, we ran into the Guru, who invited me to run at 5:00am on Sunday. After talking it over with the Vivacious Redhead, I had decided not to go-too much distance for me in four days, given my lack of conditioning.

Plus, I'm a weenie when I can be, and I don't have to wake up that early to run right now.

But, it was still a first invitation, and those are ones that you should always take unless the circumstances really dictate otherwise. So I was thinking about my decision with some consternation as I ran up to GAP at the more leisurely hour of 9:00am.

Guess who I ran into? Himself! That was really cool. The Vivacious Redhead and I ran with a new guy for a counter-clockwise loop of the park, with the Guru meeting up with us for the last half. Just being able to listen to him talk about running was a pleasure.

And then he suggested another loop. The Vivacious Redhead and the new guy were game for running to the Tennis Pavilion, at a slower pace. He gave us a head start. And then flew by me before I passed Third. He would slow for a little and then take off. Running easily, not breathing hard. I was having my first tempo run post-injury, with no breakfast! I got the sense he was trying to push me a bit. I kept him in sight the whole time, which is something I'm proud of, given how slow I've been running. I watched his back become microscopic and disappear, all in the time it took for me to shout, "have a great rest of your run!".

I don't know if he even heard me.

By the time I met back up with the others, I was so happy to tone down the pace to a jog.

But the coffee and conversation with the Vivacious Redhead was a treat. I love it when we get to go to Milk Bar! After over eight miles, iced coffee tastes delicious sliding smoothly down the throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment