Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Rockstar!

At least, I felt like one. Powered out of bed on too little sleep because I had to miss Summer Streets last Saturday and I'll miss it again next week because of work.

After a hard run yesterday, although not super fast (8:02/mile average), I was worried that I wouldn't be able to hang on to see enough of the city streets. Hooked up with Superman, the Dancer, Orange and the Photographer, though, from the beginning. As we were running an easy pace, I felt pretty good the whole time.

My house to GAP, over the Brooklyn Bridge, up Lafayette to Park Ave, all the way up to 72nd street and back down and over to Columbus Circle. Legs felt tired on the bridge, and in the first part of Manhattan. But then, there were portable water fountains and the thrill of running down what is usually one of the busiest streets in Manhattan. When we were approaching Grand Central, I couldn't believe we were already there! The distance flew by. Superman and Orange turned around on Canal, choosing to run home and still get in by their self-imposed deadlines. The rest of us went all the way up.

Dumpster pools (which are really shipping container pools, I think) are awesome. So is running under Grand Central Station. I love that part. Having traffic stopped for us was fabulous!

I left the Photographer and the Dancer at 59th, continuing on to Columbus Circle while they went down to 14th street. Ended the run with a smoothie and coffee with the Vivacious Redhead. Wished Gorgeous could have been on the run. She would have appreciated the sights and the smoothie! About 11.6 miles, not bad for how my legs felt. Of course, we were enjoying the scenery and not pushing ourselves. However, it made me enjoy running, which was not happening yesterday!

Next week is supposed to be a higher miles week. I'm nervous as to how this will work out, given that I'm going to be on the coast of Brazil for a conference. I hope that I'll find a way to get the miles in. Given how slow I am now, I cannot derail my training.

No comments:

Post a Comment