Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

It Started Out So Well!

Sigh.

Sunday, I couldn't sleep after being on an all-night flight - probably over-tiredness again - so I thought I'd meet whoever showed up at 9:00am for a run. Also, figured that I should run some, as I was bummed that I missed the Battle of Brooklyn race. My flight actually got in on time but kankles, 1 hour of sleep and a 4+ hour bus ride plus a 10 hour plane ride does not a race make.

Roll Call was surprised to see me, as I had said I wouldn't be able to make it out by 9:00am. I wasn't expecting anyone to show up, honestly, given the rain, the Summer Streets the day before, and the race that morning.

Really glad that I had company. I would not run nearly as far had he not been there. Met up at GAP, then went to Greenwood Cemetery, around clockwise and then back past GAP down Flatbush to Atlantic Terminal.

Guests were coming: a new air mattress was in order!

This run actually felt pretty good, considering. We weren't quite going an 8:00/mile pace. When the rain started, it made the run that much better. If you are going to be covered in water anyway, much better that it is salt-free! Went about 8 1/2: not the 10 on my schedule but better than my sleep-deprived self imagined.

Monday, I ran out to meet Story Finder. Her first time ever running with someone else! What a blast! It had finally stopped raining by the time that we went. I ran up counter-clockwise to 110th, met her, then ran back around to the 72nd transverse before crossing over to exit at Columbus Circle. The run went so fast! Amazing how that happens when you've got lots to talk about. 9 miles!

So tired! Rapier moved Monday night and there was little sleep for me. No running on Tuesday. Here's where the week started turning ugly, in many ways.

So frantic about school on Wednesday that I kept changing projects, getting little done. Focus, woman! Then very excited to see the Speedy Blonde for a run! Packed my backpack and everything, so that I could run back up to EH with her, to indulge in some dinner and conversation with her and Badwater. Meanwhile, had started feeling worse and worse all day.

An infection had set in. One that was bad enough that I had to make her stop running after and easy 5 miles, from Columbus Circle around to 110th, over to 116th and 1st, and then down to the cross-over to the Island. We had been trying for about 9: I felt like a failure and that I was holding her back - we were only doing a pace slightly under 9:00! She was a sport about it, however, and made light of the early termination. After a conversation-filled dinner, the Speedy Blonde nicely walked me back to the subway, as I've never been to the subway stop there and didn't feel well.

Pain, Pain, and More Pain! Started taking anitbiotics and they kicked in by mid-afternoon, thank goodness. All my books were at school! Gnawing my fingers as I imagined the work I could be doing was the theme of Thursday.

So few miles! Especially after Brazil, where I was able to get in so few. I'm worried that New York isn't going to happen. "New York, it's different." I remember the Speedy Blonde saying last year when she deferred. "In some other marathon, or in some other race, I'd go in and do whatever I could. But I know so many people, and so many people know our club and will be cheering. I can't run New York in the time that I would get and be happy about it."

I'm starting to feel the same way. There aren't so many weeks left.

No comments:

Post a Comment