Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

4 Days, 3 States, 3 Runs

Helping Suave move to some amazing, if initially filthy, digs in Cambridge, I was quite the jet-setting runner this week. Thursday, before we got the truck, I managed to squeeze in a run in Philadelphia. Just before 8:00am and already at 80 degrees, with about 90 percent humidity.

Wow. Ran up Spruce to Schulkyll and up to to boat houses. Sweated so badly I redeposited all my sweat back onto myself, given the slight breeze and the spray of salt water coming off of me. Reminisced about other morning runs in Philly, looking again at the architecture and at the ghost of a delicious meal here, a wicked card game there.

Instead of running on Friday, I did stair repeats. With weights. At least, I counted the stacks of books and the furniture weights! Suave's new digs are swanky but they are also on the third floor, with a curving staircase. Whew! I was still trying to finish up in time for the team championships but that was not to be. Too much moving, too much traffic, not enough trains. Besides, how good would my legs have been given all the stairs I climbed?

That was not a rhetorical question! I found out on Saturday, when I went out with my ultra fit, ultra-fast little brother, who also has a stride that the Speedy Blonde would be jealous of. Goes with the 36 inseam, I suppose. According to my schedule, I was slated for 18 but I knew that wasn't going to happen. After the first mile or two with my little bro, I was worried that I wouldn't even be able to do 10. Even though I had pounded water the day before, I was so dehydrated that I got the pasty mouth within the first two miles. Not a good sign. And my legs were not responding to commands.

But the day was beautiful and the company refreshing. Plus, it's bad enough my little brother is faster and better than me at almost everything! Wouldn't do to wimp out on top of that!

So I held on. We were clearly going slower than my brother usually goes, and than the pace we usually go when we run together. It was interesting: my legs felt like blocks but my breathing continued easy and unlabored the whole run. A strange feeling.

All the way around the Charles. Got to see neighborhoods I had never seen. I left him at 13 and did a bit more, finishing with 15 1/2.

By the way, all those people who claim that gummy bears work as well as gu are lying. There is no salt in gummy bears! Held on for a bit under 8:00/mile pace.

Mechanical difficulties. Again. Didn't get back to Brooklyn until 11:00pm. Got up for the group run and then realized that no one would likely show, givenvthat the club championships were yesterday. Did work, daydreamed, and persuaded Ivy League to run with me at 12:30pm. Ran almost 4 before I met him, then we did trails. I could still feel the stairs, especially when we went up hills. Tiring! Got in about 8 miles, though, I think.

As I always love to do, finished the run with some good eating at Cheryl's. I got a boost I needed, given how tired I've been and how I've felt like I've been struggling with my running. Ivy League told me that, even though I'm still not totally back ( which is obvious) I already seem much stronger than I did two weeks ago. Sometimes it's hard to see when you are the one evaluating yourself.

Getting better at facing the idea of a lot of solo runs and solo times in the near future. Not this week, though! Off to spend quality time with some great people.

1 comment:

  1. if you take away the stacks of books, all of the boxes, the carrying of said books and boxes into a truck only to take them out and up four flights of stairs the next day, the dirty apartment, and the extra six hours of driving, it was an awesome trip!

    ReplyDelete