Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Should I be this tired?

How I hate that "Marathon Season" coincides with the second-worst part of the school year.

I'm going to create my own marathon. It is going to be on the East Coast in June. Maybe in Brooklyn. And it will go through such exotic locales as East New York and Sheepshead Bay.

I will be the only one running this race. So I will come in first! Now, to find some volunteers.....

"Was it really that bad? Sure, it was tough, but it probably wasn't so hard." Thoughts as my thumb clicked the 'submit' button on my NYC entry. Stupid memory.

Scheduling a race during mid-terms, and mid-papers, is about as smart as running a race right after final grades are due.


Wait......I've done that before, haven't I? Learning curve. This very thread could be proof against those normative ethical theories that claim that humans ought to be rational in decision-making. Ought implies can. And I seem to be proof that I, at least, can't.

But about 40,000 others are with me on this one.

Seizing the opportunity both for extra distraction-free work-time and a much-missed Wednesday group run, I ran from school yesterday night. Snazzy in my purple long-sleeved, red Adidas warm-up pants and my pink and dark-grey backpack, I raced down the West Side Path.

I should say 'raced'. I've been teaching my students the import of quotes whilst reading Foucault. Not super fast but I was trying. I had left my office too late, concentrating enough that I lost track of time.

Orange, electric blue and lilac greeted me at about Canal Street. Say what you will about smog: it creates a stunning sunset.

Having had some calf and quad soreness, I promised myself, "It's ok to bail. You know where the subway is." But the kinks seemed to rub out as I continued on the run. Over the Brooklyn Bridge, having to stop at times because of the ridiculous amount of foot traffic.

I became one of 'those New Yorkers' that all the tourists talk about with excited disgust: "I can't believe she just cursed us out under her breath as she shoved by us! I think I got an elbow!" I can imagine the tongues clicking in Albuquerque now.

Then. Every light. Which are harder to stop at if you are wearing a backpack. Legs getting tired. Stomach reminding you that, in fact, fried plantain chips do not count as lunch.

But I got there just in time! Started running with the Child Whisperer, the Engineer, Tattoos and the Vivacious Redhead. But there were two interesting new girls - at least ones I had never met -to chat with about running and New York. Plus, down the first long hill, my quad felt tweaked. "I'll take the subway home" I decided.

Got a chance to run with Blondie and Blue Eyes. We finished at a nice, slow pace.

Now, a dillemma. My leg didn't feel twingy anymore. The subway would take longer than running home. And I was hungry! Off I went. I hope that wasn't stupid! (knocks on wood) It is awfully close to the race for me to be this tired, both generally, mentally, and muscle-wise. If today's run feels too much, I'll bail and skip tomorrow, too.

I'm running with my brother on Saturday. The fast one.

Anyone up for a relaxing marathon in Brooklyn? The chicken parts strewn on the sidewalks smell especially nice when they've been baking in the sun all day. I'm envisioning a late afternoon start.........

2 comments:

  1. I say you should create you own marathon in Brooklyn... There's something to be said for getting up to the big miles without 40,000 other people around. In the spring, I did a 34 miler around Manhattan and towards the end I felt like I had this secret; each time I'd make eye contact with a runner going the other way, I'd think, "I've been running for over four hours and they have no idea." Hm... that didn't really do the thought justice. Maybe you had to be there. Or maybe you had to be there and be that tired. But, it was cool. I imagine you'd get the same result from your late afternoon 26.2 through your borough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I'm thinking! And then I could make myself a race shirt, like I did with my brother when we did our own race in Phillie the day before the marathon! It would be sweet.
    I think I might actually do this. Now, to think about the course......

    ReplyDelete