Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Welcome Reminiscence

Or, how I don't know how to spell.

I've noticed that I've fallen into the academic's habit of always giving subtitles. I must re-train myself!

9:15. GAP was the text reminder I got this morning. Whee! I plotted routes in my head as I ran to meet Superman. I hadn't run with him in ages! It was enough for me to get out the door, though it was COLD ( for me) and my quad was sore when I rolled it in preparation.

Ooh. Flatbush was being redirected. Problem for pedestrians? That was going to be part of my route!

"where are we going?" " you've got an hour, right?" "oh, maybe a bit more.".

I threw caution to the wind, which was quite strong and blew it away in a matter of milliseconds.

"Let's do the cemetery route, to avoid traffic."

So, off we went. Ran through a really weird protest, that included people saying things like, "we want more parking on Prospect Park West!". Which was supposedly a protest against the bike lane that merely made the parking move over about three feet.

Ah. Critical thinking ought to be required for life. I made a mental note to use this as an example against those normative ethicists who claim that we can think rationally all the time, if pressed. And yes, I do have a vendetta against this nefarious group. Which is arational, if not irrational. Luckily, my position supports my lack of rationality!

Back to the run. It was at a nice pace. A bit faster than I had been running up to GAP but, then again, I had been babying my leg in the freezing temperatures and wind. It was only about 50, after all! But, luckily, my leg did not protest. We were at Prospect Park West again almost immediately, it seemed. Superman and I had been gabbing so much that I hadn't even noticed most of the run around the cemetery!

Except that awful, decaying body/rotting garbage reek halfway past the subway cemetery. Yes, folks, that smell is back.

We went around the rest of Prospect Park, though I left him to fend for himself up Flatbush. I shot down Washington instead to run some errands on St. Johns and Brooklyn. So I don't know how that whole 'traffic rerouting' thing affected the sidewalk. Oops. Probably should have told him.

One thing I appreciate and miss so much about our runs is that he doesn't share a lot of the views that I do but he is still a thoughtful person open to changing his mind and open to crusades. One of the topics we discussed was the lack of women in certain levels of any job. He had interesting and insightful things to say about the topic and also listened to my points. Not something of the tyoe I usually get to talk about on a run, unless it is with Ivy League. ( that was a gratuitous mention of Ivy Leagues, by the way. Just making sure everyone is still confused about our status! Heh.)

Got in a bit over 10. I slowed down some after leaving Superman. Had to digest the conversation and plan my writing and reading day.

Plus, my quad was tired. Will it ne'er be right again?

Dramatic sigh.

I need to remember that its ok if I dont hit my magic mile number this week. It's more important to feel good, both for New York and for my running sanity,

No comments:

Post a Comment