Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Lunchtime Quickie

Or, what counts as lunchtime if you are up before five......

Wasn't going to run today because of the weather, my hair and physical therapy yesterday. It had been blowing rain in the morning, I had washed my hair, and physical therapy made my calves much less tight but much more sore.

It stopped raining, my calves felt better and I persuaded myself that my hair would stay flat and relatively perfect if I only went on a short run. Plus, I was tired and thought it a good way to pep myself up.

Out into the park I went. Shortly into the run, the wind was gusting so hard, I knew the hair was done. Contemplated turning around. Decided that was ridiculous. Continued cursing the wind and holding my hand over my hair. Which was about as effective a prevention tool as my 85-year-old, 70-pound, osteoparitic grandmother's arm held out in front of me when she stopped abruptly in her Caprice Classic.

If those super-skeletal women who are walking in the park are coming off of a life-threatening illness, like cancer, I understand why they are walking. If they are, instead, anorexic, why are they walking and not running? Wouldn't running be a more effective way to burn calories? Unless they are already so underweight that they don't actually have the energy to run. Which is just depressing.

Ah, the pleasant thoughts that fly through my head sometimes!

Ran out and back for a bit under 44 minutes. My calves still feel ok, though my left knee hurt a bit-because of the camber, likely. My energy was returned for a time and my hair was huge. You can't get everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment