Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Ouchie!

I don't expect much pity: I did bring this upon myself.

Shading on a tattoo + inner thigh = swelling.

Not as bad as last time but my left thigh is definitely larger than my right.

So what, right? It's just a bit sore to the touch!

Wrong. Last time, I couldn't run for three days. Whether it's because the artist had a lighter touch, or because I am lighter, or because I had already had the outline done, I don't think it's going to be that bad.

The run was hard for me, though, in more than one regard. After rolling, the legs felt much better. But they were still tired.

I was motivated! Ready to go out over the Williamsburg Bridge and back -about 9.75 miles.

Then I started running. With each step, pain radiated over my thigh. "it'll go numb."

No. It simmered down some, only to flare back up on each downhill and heavy step on my left side. Braking for lights became even less appetizing than usual. By the time I was at Atlantic, I knew.

I had to downgrade my run.

Now, as all motivated or semi-motivated people know (with myself in the second category), one of the reasons that the motivation educes is because you come up with schedules where it seems like a travesty to alter it in any way,unless it is to jam in more.

So, knowing I had to do less than planned had my mind start racing. "maybe I should do it anyway. Maybe it's not so bad.". This same thinking had me come incredibly close to finishing the last five miles of my run the day I tore ligaments in my ankle.

Bad idea. Focus on the long-term!

So I took a deep breathe and trundles down to Fulton, where I ran to Flatbush and back hometown Eastern Parkway.

The day was not making my decision easier. Sunny, 60s weather in November.

But I did it. Weird to be a bit proud of a 5.75 mile run.

Hope the swelling goes down! It is definitely ouchie!

No comments:

Post a Comment