Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

In a Time of Stress and Changes, A Reassuring Regularity

The weather changed today. Here I was, hoping it would be like Alabama forever. Alas, this was not to be.

I am currently wearing a scarf in my own apartment and am having trouble feeling my toes. Winter is here, even if the official start isn't until later. It likes to be that pesky early guest, who shows up before you've cleaned the house or finished putting out the hors d'oeuvres.

Wait. I do that.......

As usual, on Thursdays when I am in NY, I worked until near when I was supposed to meet the Vivacious Redhead, then underestimated the time it would take for me to get dressed in all those layers.

Plus, it really bothers me to leave the house without all the dishes being washed. Only in an emergency or possible lateness to work......

As usual, I was rushing down Eastern Parkway, trying to make lights. As usual, they were against me. Evil lights! I was also testing out my knee. It did not like the cold weather and started out in protestation but quieted down except for the occasional twinge on a sharp turn.

As usual, to get out of the house in cold weather, I was a mite overdressed. Thick tights. Long-sleeved shirt. Lined jacket. Hat and mitten/gloves. My neck missed my long hair.

At first, my rear went numb. "Drat! I knew I should have worn an extra pair of pants!"

But by the school, its circulation had returned. Whew!

As usual, we headed out towards the cemetary along 6th Avenue.

As usual, we had a delightful conversation and planned stuff that we needed to plan for PPTC.

Unusually for the cemetary run, we went around part of the park and then ran down to Brooklyn College, along the route of one of our other usual runs: Bedford Avenue.

As usual, we got coffee and argued about who would pay.

I loved all of it. The weather warmed up, the sun was out, the campus was beautiful and the subway ride back from the end of the 2 line dropped me off near my house in short order.

With everything else tilted askew recently, having a good regular is essential for a gal like me. Since I don't have a regular bar, I'll settle for what I've got. Seems like a pretty good compromise.

2 comments:

  1. "Wait. I do that......." Hahaha! Yeeeaaaah... so do I. Oops. And I know what you mean about running being the stability in our lives. Definitely true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Otherwise, things would be crazy. And I've definitely helped my share of people finish cleaning and setting up for a party!

    ReplyDelete