Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Doctor's Orders!

I love Santa Barbara! It's one of my new favorite cities.

The Shangri La hotel in LA is now my new favorite hotel. Right off of Ocean, with gorgeous views. Clearly a hotel that used to be a dump but has been newly renovated.

Art Deco, in the way that I might decorate a hotel. Lovely.

Why, might you ask, did I wait until today, in the freezing weather of Boston, to go out for my first run in 8 days? When I had all of the beauty of LA and Santa Barbara at my fingertips previously?

Doctor's orders. Due to my calf strain and some other issues, I have been directed to gain some weight and cut down on running.

"A half hour a day or less would be ideal", she says.

Now the weight gain is no problem. Sitting on my butt and eating for 8 days has already pretty much taken care of that!

But the reduction in miles is hard. And returning to running has been hard, too. It's a weird nebulous area: why run at all if you are supposed to run that little?

A woman of extremes, I tend to be. Something I should work on for the new year?

Squished myself into my compression tights - a proposition after weight gain! - and ran this afternoon. Planned to flout the orders somewhat and run about 80 minutes.

However, the ice made me a good(ish) girl: I did about 55 minutes, instead. Ice and my coordination do not mix well.

So, 1/2 hour is really like an hour, right?

It had been so long since I had run, the start of the run was actually rather slow and painful. I felt the weight and I felt the tightness in my legs. My lungs also felt rusty.

The way back down the Charles, I felt better. Getting into a bit more of a groove, I even managed to pick it up on clear parts.

At least the Charles was beautiful. Ice on either side, with a channel cut through the middle for boats.

Aiming for balance.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the moderation. It's tough, I know. Sounds like a good resolution for the new year.

    And, for what it's worth, I'd rather run along the icy Charles than in Californiaany day. Winter running in Boston is tough to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Robert! I hope this moderation thing won't last for too long, though. I'm worried about my fitness going completely out the window!
    I do love winter running in Boston, for all that the ice is an issue for us clumsy people. Something about the water and the calm on one side and the traffic and people on the other.

    ReplyDelete