Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Welcome Back

to me.

I went on a celebratory and experimental run this morning. Celebratory because I can run (almost) without conditions now. Experimental because I'm pushing the time-frame a bit; because, earlier in the week, I had run a couple of times with some bad side effects; and because I haven't really tried to run instead of jog in ages.

The sky was icing-licious today: blue with whipped buttercream frosting. Yum. I went the mid-length way around the outside of the park: Up Eastern to GAP, then around and up Flatbush back to GAP, then back down Eastern Parkway.

Some observations:

The pavement is deplorable on Flabush, especially nearing Grand Army. It's always been bad but this winter really amped up the problems. Of course, no one actually lives on that part of Flatbush, so it's unlikely that they will fix it anytime soon.

It's been so long since I've pushed myself, it was hard to figure out how much pushing was ok. It's as if I've forgotten all the lessons I've taught myself over the years.

The extra weight really hurts the knees. By the time I finished, I was really having to ease into the stop at lights because my knees were threatening me.

It's not the best idea to eat a bunch of icing the day before you attempt your first semi-serious run in months.

It's great to be back trying to run again. Some people seem naturally even-keeled. Me, if I can't exercise, am a roller-coaster wreck. Not a pretty sight these past two weeks!

I can still pass at least some people. I was worried about that!

No speed records anytime soon but, if I'm lucky, maybe more than the 6.7 miles I did this morning!
Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment