Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Yow - Maybe not the smartest idea

Superman had agreed to run this Friday with me.
Great! A fantastic way to jump back into running. Plus, company is always appreciated.
Especially after feeling a bit tight from Thursday's run: running faster than you've let yourself for 5 months really makes you tired! Who would have known?!

Then, the news: Superman had invited LSE to join us.

"No testosterone fights!" I screamed to myself. And to them. They promised a long, slow run.

Hah.

I really should have known better.

We started at a fairly relaxed pace - for them - while running down Prospect Park West to Greenwood Cemetery. The weather was super humid and the allergies and asthma weren't good but it was sunny-ish and cool.
Off to Owl's Head. By this point, we had stopped for waters, thankfully, to carry with us.
And, by this point, LSE was already (unconsciously) trying to push the pace.
And, by this point, Superman was keeping up with him.
Which made us go faster than I had wanted.
"It's ok. I can still do this. I can always get on the subway."

Bay Ridge, besides being verdant and homey, is also quite reasonably priced for New York.
Why? Little subway access.
Yeah.
My subconsious had led me to stuff one GU in my sports bra. At least my subconscious realized the plight I might be in!
Tearing off the top with my teeth, I gulped down half of it while Superman used the bathroom at Owl's Head.
My first GU in over 5 months, too. I had forgotten how yucky they are!
Then, off to the promenade.
"We're just going a little way, right?"
"No! All the way to the Verizano!"
That couldn't be right. And I still don't know if we went down to the Verizano. We turned around at the first big bridge across the water, past the two pedestrian bridges back over Belk Parkway.
My knee, twinging at bit at the end of my Thursday run, started up again.
Uhoh.
Luckily, the pavement tilt helped on the way back down the promenade.
But I was already pretty done.
And we still had to get back!
The rest of the run back was rough. LSE kept surging forwards. Superman would sometimes go with him and sometimes hang back with me.
I kept trundling along, my muscles feeling like I was at mile 20 of the marathon.
At least, though they were much faster than me, they both felt the pain: at stoplights, we would all start walking.
But they kept stopping for me. That's worse than just leaving me!
I kept trundling, my knee aching a bit and my legs on fire, back up 5th Avenue.
Back up to Prospect Park West. Back near GAP.
Yes, near GAP. Superman and LSE stopped where Superman had to turn off.
I had to keep running because I couldn't stop.
Then, I rubber-walked to the Vivacious Redhead's house, where I imposed on her poor, sick, self, to get some water and some sympathy.
I got the water.
"You did what? Are you crazy?"
Yes. Apparently. Or with a really slow-rising learning curve.
Don't run long with Superman and LSE together! At least, not when I'm not in shape.
I had to miss my group run this morning to coddle my knee.
Sigh.
But I'm still back!
And I've discovered my new baseline. These are all good things.
I have no idea how far I ran. Anywhere from 14-17 miles.
Ouch.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, ambitious run for just getting back out there, excited to start hearing more about your runs as you get faster and faster this summer.

    ReplyDelete