Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Bridges!

So the weather isn't holding. Sigh. But once the weather turns once, I become an eternal optimist.

Which made for a chilly run this morning.

Albeit a beautiful one.

Baseball, Ivy League, Gorgeous and I had all planned to do some part or another of the East Side Bridges run - a run that would take us over the Brooklyn Bridge and back, then over the Manhattan, the Williamsburg and over to Queensboro.

Once I met up with Ivy League, with a surprise Oklahoma added in, that plan had already been scrapped. Baseball wasn't feeling well and Ivy League didn't want to run that far.

Racing down the hill on Union, I got a bit warm. So I took my jacket off.

It's not like we were about to go over a set of bridges, or anything.

And it's not windy in New York.

Optimism at work.

We kept up a nice pace until Court and Union, where I dropped back to run with Baseball and Gorgeous.

I pushed the pace a bit, but not too much, over the Brooklyn Bridge. On the way back, Ivy League and Oklahoma looped back to meet up with us, where Oklahoma and I picked it up the rest of the way back over the bridge.

There, we split, with Ivy League, Oklahoma and me journeying onward to the Manhattan Bridge, after a detour to the courthouse and back.

Surprisingly, I was able to keep up over Manhattan, even though I was feeling a bit off. Likely because Ivy League's foot was bothering him.

If only I weren't so wind-blown! Even my hands were cold, which almost never happens when I'm running.

I have a theory, though. Normally, I am so over-bundled that my hands are a good place to let off excess heat. When I'm dressed like a sane person would dress on a run in 40-degree weather, my hands don't get that extra heat and, so, they freeze.

Brr.

Oklahoma went back over the Manhattan. Ivy League decided to save his foot. I was feeling funny enough that I didn't want to go over the Williamsburg by myself, so I went with him. Did a jog over to the 4 at Brooklyn Bridge, then got off and walked the rest of the way home.

I miss the bridges! I must figure out ways to add them in, even if I have to do shorter runs.

Smiling!

And, perhaps, we will get a chance to do the full bridges run sometime soon, when the weather is even nicer! Suntan, anyone?

2 comments:

  1. I still have not done the full bridges run... My buddy Antonio and ran Triboro, Queensboro, Williamsburg and Manhattan, but were thwarted by a huge march of protesters on the Brooklyn. It's definitely on my agenda for the spring. Maybe we could all coordinate to run it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be awesome! But, you know, we'd have to have pace groups.

    Congratulations, again! Whoo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete