Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Weights Two Ways - Or, the 2nd Day of Spring is Much Better than the 1st!

Monday was the first day of spring.

Or, so I told myself as I zipped my parka up over my knee-length cardigan and flipped up the hood against the rain.

The Vivacious Redhead had called. "I know this sounds crazy but could we wait to run until tomorrow?"

Wow. The weather must be really bad!

I pulled my hood closer as the rain turned to sleet.

Fantastic.

Taking advantage of the extra time, though, I actually did my weight routine - or, at least, the weenie version of it.

Using my new magic bouncy ball, I rolled myself down the wall into squats.

And sat on it for balance while I swung weights dangerously near my head as I worked my triceps.

And squinged all over the floor on it - my balance is not so good - while trying to work my abs.

It rested while I did bicep curls.

So my arms were nice and tired for Tuesday morning's run!

This was a weights workout of a different sort.

Dark, windy and warmish met me coming up Eastern Parkway.

A great change from Monday! The 2nd day of spring was far better than the 1st.

Or the 3rd, for that matter, I claim, my eyes resting on the cars' white toupees.

Up towards Grand Army, where I met the Vivacious Redhead.

Without stopping, I picked her up and we ran onwards, towards the bridge. Though I was carrying my backpack, as I was running to work, I felt lighter on my feet. Sometimes I am smart.
Yesterday, I brought all my clothes to my office. All I had to bring, this time, were my books and a water bottle.

Yay for foresight!

I ran with the Vivacious Redhead to the middle of the bridge. Sure, there are still paint fumes galore emanating from the workmen's passageway.
But I sure hope that the Vivacious Redhead stopped for a photo on the way back.
The sun glowing over the Statue of Liberty made it seem like She was a punk rocker.

Bereft of company, I trundled onwards, trying to pick up the pace a bit. I've had some kind of weird infection this week where I feel ok except I'm phlegm-y and my throat has been sore and swollen. Not awsome for breathing.

But, I haven't been picking up the pace that much on my own, as evidenced as to how tired I was after Sunday's run. So, I resolved, I'd pick it up.

Sometimes it's hard to do this without help.

Help arrived, in the form of a yellow-jacketed man.

You see, I passed him pretty easily right at the bottom of the West Side path.

But then, a couple of minutes later, I looked to my side, sweeping over the pink-tinged face of New Jersey.

And a caught a glimpse of yellow right behind me.

I guess he got mad that I passed him, and sped up.

Well, I certainly wasn't going to let him pass me back!

So I sped up some more.

"I must have left him!" I thought.

Then, while I was wiping my nose, I again catch a glimpse of yellow.

The rat fink had caught up again!

Needless to say, I started acting as if the West Side path at 7:00am with a backpack and a cold was a fantastic location and setting for a tempo run.

This lasted all the way up to 32nd street, when I realized he wasn't behind me anymore.

Quite dissappointing! Because my legs were now tired, due to my rash tempo run, and I needed some motivation!

I spied an older man in black up ahead. Ok. I could pass him.

Right as I got up beside him, he sped up.

And said, "I was hoping you'd catch up! How far are you going?"

This real estate agent and I ran until 59th together, where he turned around.

In the meantime, I got an invite to be sponsored for a race, found out more about prices in SoHo, learned about how erudite his girlfriend is, talked about his goal of climbing Mt. Everest and commisserated about divorce.

What a nice man and a nice run!

Plus, once he started talking, he slowed down. So I didn't have to continue my ill-conceived tempo run up the rest of the West Side.

I even took the steepest hill up to work, when I ran back down to 58th.

It's amazing how company and competition can transform a run.

Next question: should I do more weights this morning, or is that too soon? Ideas?

2 comments:

  1. "I looked to my side, sweeping over the pink-tinged face of New Jersey."

    like

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's New Jersey's better side, wouldn't you agree? That's why I like the West Side Highway path!

    ReplyDelete