Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Here Comes the Bride!

"Oh, you definitely have to leave Baltimore before 9:00am. Otherwise, you might be late."

I really appreciate getting advice from my mother, whose lateness is legendary. When she arrived at my brother's Awards Banquet for Medical School only an hour and a half late, my brother and I high-fived each other and raised our eyes in amazement.

On the other hand, it would really have galled me to have shown her right!

After all, it was my older brother's wedding day. Ok, civil ceremony day. The big part will be later.

So I got up around 6:00am and ran a quick 30-minute run. I was itching to go longer but was too worried about the time.

Due to the fact it was still dark out when I started, I went uptown, instead of my preferred downtown route. Going downtown, you see more and you start downhill before getting into a series of rollers.

The problem is, you see more. It being the first really nice day and all, I would likely have seen a lot of people out. And they might have seen me.

Sure, no one wants to get mugged. But it would have really burned my onion to have told some sob story to my Baltimore people and get the response, "what the heck were you doing running downtown by yourself in the morning anyway. North Avenue hasn't gotten THAT gentrified!"

But uptown was nice. More chains, especially near Johns Hopkins, but some nice hills on the way out and I got to see how the rich people live around Guilford.

I felt so good that I had to fight with myself about not running more. But I started getting scared about the train.

Off I went to D.C. Where I proceeded to sit around for a while. Quite a while.

At least I wasn't late!

The cutest thing about the wedding - even cuter than the bride crying joyfully or everyone being gathered together - was that my brother was on time.

Yes. It's true. In fact, BOTH my brother AND my mother were on time.

Clearly, a momentous occasion.

And, of course, the wedding was moving, too.

Plus, I got to meet my new sister-in-law's parents and aunt. Lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment