Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ow!

You know, you have to remember your own limits.

And keep current on what those limits are!

Thus, why people shouldn't claim they can 'run a 19-minute 5k' if that PR was gotten, say, 5 years ago.

Or say that they run all the time if they used to but haven't done so for several months.

I think I might have fallen prey to that last conceit.

I used to run all the time.

But 3 plus months of running 22-40 miles a week makes it so that I no longer qualify.

But I still haven't put paid to that conceit.

So I think it will be fine to run to work (again) with a heavy backpack.

Ok. It was fine.

But I meant 'fine' in the sense that I would have a great run the whole time.

And that I wouldn't get ouchy 8 miles in.

Because, like the woman who has changed sizes but doesn't quite accept it, always pulling out the size six and wondering why it doesn't fit, I've changed running patterns.

Significantly.

So a 10.3 or so mile run has become one of the longest runs that I do.

Instead of a nice, medium-length, middle-of-the-week jaunt.

If it were still a jaunt, my backpack wouldn't be too bad.

But, in fact, my legs got really tired today on that run.

They were fine and then, boom, around mile 8, they revolted a bit.

I kept running, anyway: I haven't changed that much, yet.

But I definitely got slower.

At least I'm still running, though!

Even if I can no longer claim that 'I run all the time'.

By the way, where are those larger clothes? I'll take (almost) all donations!

Hopefully, I'll just need lighter clothes. I'm confident that this weather is turning for the better, but soon!

1 comment:

  1. For what it's worth, I've never experienced a run with a backpack being fine in the great run sense. Better than not running at all, maybe, but not as good as running free.

    ReplyDelete