Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Things Nerds Think About

A common occurance:

Waking up in the middle of the night, unable to sleep because I had a thought pop into my head - what's the difference between 'talk to' and 'speak with'?

Breaking off in the middle of conversation to ask, "Really! What's the difference between damp, moist and wet or humid."

These sorts of questions consume me. And I'll research the answers. A lot.

Then still obsess, when sending off an email:

"Ok, was it nice to speak with them? or, was it nice to talk to them?"

Any other words people obsess over? I've got a whole list!

2 comments:

  1. This might be unrelated, but I used the term "pleased as punch" while running with one of my teammates yesterday and cannot figure out A.) what made me say that/where it came from or B.) what it exactly it means.

    Also, I often get a particular word stuck in my head and keep obsessing over its spelling and pronunciation, thinking that they sound off. Though, for me, it's usually just one word, not the two word phrase like you describe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It comes from Punch and Judy! I thought as much but just did some Googling to confirm it.
    Hah!
    Cool!

    ReplyDelete