Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

Memories.....The Sweet Memories.....

I couldn't sleep much last night. 1st exam nerves.

So, I spent some quality time between dark and darker thirty, thinking about my favorite runs and running partners in NYC while I tried to prevent my cat from cutting off my circulation and possibly my breathing.

I miss running with Ivy League and LSE and Superman - especially all together or in some kind of duo combination. The dynamic between Ivy League and either of them was hilarious.

Plus, running with them helped me not be a lazy runner: something I definitely am right now. At least one would usually take off at some point in the run, zinging home how much faster they all are than I am. I'm a plodder but having someone push the pace makes even a plodder a bit faster.

Ok. I'm not running at all right now, either literally or within the last week. Thankfully, I'm not running right now because my typing wouldn't hold up. Sadly, I'm not running this week becaues of my muscle pull.

But, you know what I mean!

Also, courses. When I get to run longer distances, I know that I'll appreciate DC's trail system more. And I've already enjoyed a lot of scenery.
But, DC, I'm sorry. There is no Far Rockaway run here. Nor a Forest Park run. Though you can run through the equivalent of East New York if you feel like it. I've done a bit of that but, without my trusty urban companion Ivy League, I haven't felt as comfortable doing so. I'm not very fast right now, after all!
Oooh! Or the bridges run! I LOOOOOVE NYC bridge running! Except when I'm going over the Queensboro Bridge. Then, it never seems like a good idea.
And, of course, in NY, there are the lovely leaping ladies to keep me company on runs, as well.

Sigh.

DC has been great. But I wish I could run at all right now. And I wish I could run more. And faster. That would open up my options.

Running with History and all of them is really cool, don't get me wrong. I just wish I could do more and with more people.

Having running as your main social outlet isn't as awesome as it could be when you can't really do it.

LARGE DRAMATIC SIGH.

Ok. Enough waxing nostalgic and feeling sorry for myself. I've got a test to prepare for!

3 comments:

  1. You may need to try something else for a while. One of my really high-energy friends turned to yoga.
    Glad your first exam in 15 yrs went well although I am not surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me miss you so much. Except that I didn't get a mention! Ha. :) I miss NYC so much too, sometimes it just kills me. But whenever I get sad, I think about all of the memories/fun I had there. Finding beauty in such unconventional ways. Especially in the friends I made

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! I mentioned you with the ladies! This was more about the routes, though.
    I totally agree with you: unconventional beauty!

    ReplyDelete