Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Doing Aquajogging Seems Eerily Similar

To the Progress I've been Making on my Outlines.

Getting no where slowly.

I really have no idea how to aquajog. There are two schools of thought that seem to be in tension with each other.

One says: stay in the deep end. Don't go anywhere.

The other says: do laps from shallow to deep. Do go somewhere.

I likely wasn't doing it right but I noticed a difference when I was in the shallow end as opposed to the deep end.

Putting my feet down onto the bottom, I was much more on my toes and much more forward-leaning.

In the deep end, I was making a concious effort to try to keep my feet flat on the down stroke and I was much more upright.

But I couldn't do it fast enough to really get my heartrate up.

So I did some laps swimming and kicking, too.

I'll think of it as a really really long period of crosstraining?

If only I could see more progress.

5 comments:

  1. Great exercising....and self-discipline. I remember old ad slogan - "progress is our most important product." Not sure what it exactly meant but sounded good at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your pool big enough to go somewhere in the deep end? My college coach had us do aqua jogging workouts and we never touched down, but I guess that's because it was a big pool that didn't even have a shallow end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, Helen! You need to tell me how you were supposed to do them! I can go into the deep end and stay there, I just didn't know I was supposed to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did just the deep end in college too, usually while the diving team was practicing so there was something to look at. It helped to do intervals, like 1 min on/ 1 off, to make sure that you actually went hard enough to get the heart rate up and make it a little less boring. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Rebecca! I tried that today. Still know I'm not working hard enough but it was better. Interesting, though, how your knees seem to be up in front of you most of the time. Like you are doing high knees or something!

    ReplyDelete