Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Why Was That So Much Fun?

Thank you, Ivy League! You're still my favorite.

Not only are you cute but you give good information!

I kept getting conflicting information about the whole aqua jogging approach. Some said "run laps". Some said "stay in the deep end." And then, the workouts.

"Try to walk across the pool for 10 minutes, if you can."

"Stay in, doing intervals, for 2 hours."

Um.

But, Ivy League directed me to a Scott Douglas article. So much information about what you are supposed to do, aqua jogging, and how you are supposed to do it.

And his suggestions seemed more up my alley. A bit more than "try to walk across the pool for 10 minutes."

Plus, Ivy League endorsed the program. Well, he endorsed the efficacy of the program. He actually suggested that I not try to follow it right now, as it is rather rigorous.

I half listened.

After warming up, I started doing 5 minute intervals, with 1 minute rests/slow-downs.

I'm sure I didn't go as fast as I should have during the intervals. But I did make sure to go faster during them!

Then, after doing 2 of them, I was starting my third when Peace Corps swam over with another belt.

She was willing to aqua jog with me! I had been happy enough that she agreed to meet me at the pool when it opened! Nine am but that's early for most law students, apparently.

Certainly, we had the pool to ourselves again for most of it.

Wow. That made the jogging fly by! Ok. Not fly. But crawl much more quickly.

I didn't keep doing the intervals because I was having too much fun chatting. But I still felt like I did something!

Then, some quick laps afterwards.

Note about aqua jogging. If you try not to move - like the people who recommend it for keeping competitive runners (i.e. - better than me) fit during injuries - it really works your back and glutes!

My running still is not quite so up-and-down, like you have to be in the pool.

Now my butt hurts a bit. But I am happy that I did the workout. And that I had such great company.

And that, according to the internet, it seems to keep up your conditioning pretty well.

It won't be perfect: I can't use the pool during Christmas break, and I know that I am going slower and much shorter than I would be outside. But I'll still take it!

And then, collaboration in issue-spotting went well, too!
What a great day so far!
The article:

http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment