Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Head of the Charles

Tapering is such a strange thing. I am tired during some of these runs and overly energetic for others.

Friday was an example of one where I was tired. Distracting myself with watching the set-up for the Head of the Charles Regatta, I ran an out-and-back that was slightly under an hour. At first, it was so cold and windy that I thought I would have to turn around but, after a while, I was able to get up enough speed that my tights, long sleeves and hat were enough to keep me warm.

Sports events in America - and likely everywhere else - are hilarious in certain ways. People were preparing to watch some of the fittest people in the United States, if not the world, battle it out on the water. Those in lightweight boats might not have eaten for several days to meet the weigh-in.

And here they were, setting up fried dough and clam chowder booths. So that spectators could eat to their hearts' delight while watching these competitors. Hah!

Saturday, my little bro and I waited until noon to run. A bit of a mistake: the regatta was in full swing and, in parts, we had to walk, no matter how rude we were or how much we channelled the tourist-avoidance bred into us from the Brooklyn Bridge. But I was amped all during this run, feeling some pain from my calf but having to hold back to not run more, or faster. Was it the welcome company? Or something else?

Because of some calf and hip issues, I walked yesterday instead of running. Plus, I had some eating and spectating of my own to do!

Now I'm feeling sick, and worried about the marathon as a result. Will hold off from running today. I hope it's the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment