Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Top 5 and Bottom 5

Ivy League got me thinking about this question. What are your top 5 and bottom five runs for the past year?

Not an insignificant task to think of these. My memory is terrible. Plus, I'm a philosopher. So I have to determine the necessary and sufficient conditions for each category, properly delimit the category - in what way do you mean 'top'? e.g. - and then stop arguing with myself enough to come up with the list.

The list is still forthcoming.

Here's the ones I thought of so far, in no particular order.

Top Five:
The run to Rockaway that we did last Friday. Eery. Amazing. Surreal. Everything you could hope for in a run. Except maybe more water fountains.

Owl's Head to the Promenade to Ocean Parkway. I loved finding that connecter between the Promenade and the Boardwalk. And little stopping until Ocean Parkway. Plus, it is flat. Bad for marathon training, good for running ease.

Eastern Parkway to the cemetery to (almost) Forest Park and then back down through Queens and East New York. Neat park views, some nice hills. Plus, it's not so often that you get seeming drug addicts telling you to 'go, girl! and keep running! and way to train!'

After the initial craziness, the run with Story Finder up to the George Washington Bridge. The sky was psychedelic. The wind was a lot and so were the hills but almost no stopping and great and varied architecture the whole way.

Last one? Maybe one of the runs from work when it was snowing. Again, surreal. Only one out there. The wind is blowing. It's snowing hugely. And everything looks frosted. I love icing. Maybe the run where I then did a loop of Prospect Park?

Bottom Five:
The aborted run with the Speedy Blonde in Central Park and down the East Side. It might have gotten into the top 5, had I not been in so much pain that I had to stop.

I had forgotten this one - must have blocked it out. But Ivy League reminded me and it definitely goes on the list: me and him, experiencing low blood sugar at the end of a hot 15-miler in Central Park. Loops never agree with me, even if they are varied loops.

Also thanks to Ivy League: the run up Union from the Brooklyn Bridge in the blizzard last year. The run where I fell into a snowbank. A couple of times. Brrrr.

The last long run to Coney Island and back with Superman and the Speedy Blonde, before the Phoenix marathon. The Speedy Blonde wanted to catch up with people and I had slept very little the weeks before. Thinking about that run makes me wince.

I can't think of any others, although I'm sure that there are some. Maybe that's the beauty of my memory: I forget so much, I forget bad stuff the most!

Any other thoughts? Runs that people really liked? Hated? Why?

2 comments:

  1. Whee. One would think we were lovers by the amount of love I get on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we do go on a lot of runs together......

    ReplyDelete