Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Who Cares About a Nagging Calf Issue when You Have New Shoes!

Actually, I've had the shoes for a while. Nestled up in my linen closet, between the sheets and the pillowcases.

But I haven't worn them. Until today! Nothing like a nice, firm new pair. Adds a spring to your step and a glitter to your eye.


I wore them on the suggestion of the Vivacious Redhead, who thought I should probably wear newer shoes for the marathon. Eeek. (I don't want to think about the marathon!)

"Try them and see if they feel ok", she counciled. We were running down Bedford at the time, getting a suntan(!) in October.

So I did. Yesterday, we ran down Rodgers, cut over to Bedford, then over on Avenue T to Marine Park, where we availed ourselves of the waterfountains, made a quick loop, then back up to the awesome Target and the subway home. A thoroughly enjoyable 11 (?) miles. If only the marathon could feel like that.....

(Stomach roiling)

Isn't it interesting, by the way, that there seems to be no Avenue Q? Instead, there is Quinton Ave. Is is a bad luck letter somewhere? I must investigate......

Tapering makes me antsy. I danced around the apartment, avoiding work because I couldn't concentrate. Forced myself to settle down and work for a while. Then, I couldn't take it. I strapped on my new shoes and ran down Eastern for a quick outer loop of the park. The shoes felt heavenly. The leaves are down and moldering, making me cough and wheeze a bit.

The calf was great during the run but aches now when I move certain ways. I am anti! I don't know how I did this and I'd like to make it stop!

But the weather is still pretty nice. Not so for next Sunday! Being cold is something I just can't stand. It takes more out of me than almost anything else. And standing around for 3 1/2 hours in the cold will be fairly horrendous. I'll bring throw-aways this time but I still can't keep myself warm in those temperatures for that long!

Why do I run races? I get nervous and puky for at least a week before, second-guess myself during most of the training and definitely the days leading up to the race. I berate myself for not taking training seriously enough, or worry about that extra beer. And then, the race itself. I block out a lot but I recall that it is usually painful. Is it just for that medal, that medal identical to 40,000 others?

It can't be. I enjoy running and I love having goals. But competition isn't so good for me. I've never had enough confidence to really enjoy it. Maybe I can get some confidence for Christmas.......

So much stuff to do and get before the race. And then, the grading. I'm worried that I'll fall apart.........

1 comment: