Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Oof!

A long weekend! After rolling on Friday night, I hoped to be up for the Saturday group run. I needed some social interaction! Rolled out of bed and checked the legs. My right calf had a knot and with a bit sore. Massaged it a bit and declared it 'good to go'. When I started running, it sent out a sharp twinge. "Be quiet!" I screamed inside my head. It shut up.

Gorgeous and I had planned to run the Williamsburg Bridge but events and the group intervened. It was cold and incredibly windy and there was a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge scheduled for that morning. Some 20+ people suggested Owl's Head, the Promenade and Ocean Parkway. Fine.

Then they suggested going down Ocean Parkway first. No way. I'd had enough of Ocean Parkway and, for those who wanted to do a shorter distance, they would only get the cruddy part and not the beauty of the beach.

So we split up. One group ran one direction, the other went the other way. Then we split up even further. Kentucky, Tattoos, Gorgeous and I all started off at a nice clip and decided not to wait for the rest of the runners until we got to Owl's Head. The Engineer was with them: he knew the way. He knows all of Brooklyn, pretty much!

Gorgeous led the whole run. Impressive, considering she had already run 8 miles and was doing a 20-22 mile run that day. It was the longest run Kentucky had done in months, so he was happy to hang back. I was just trying to keep Gorgeous in sight!
Ran down to the cemetery, down 5th and over to 67th. Very little stop and go on 5th, which was pretty amazing. I think, because of the cold weather, a lot of the sidewalk congestion was dissipated. Yay! Less video game running! We did a loop of Owl's Head and then waited for the others. Took off again.

Now I was tired! My calf was a bit angry with me. And so was my hip. Plus, I started to get so ravenously hungry that my stomach felt as if it were eating itself. The problem with eating too early and not eating enough!

Luckily, I mentioned the Bagel Hole and persuaded Gorgeous to go with me! Kentucky dropped off at the side of the cemetery. We ran around the rest of the cemetery and dropped Tattoos off along the way.

Now it was just me and Gogeous. And a big, long hill. Great. Super legs versus super slow.

I watched her poster-worthy arm pumps all the way up and tried to copy. But my water bottles were heavy. So I reduced to a plod.

Back over to Prospect Park West and down 13th to the Bagel Hole. Then, ran over to Ozzies for coffee while Gorgeous finished up her run by running home. Thought about running to meet the rest at Grand Army. Decided that I couldn't imagine running another step. Took the train home. Then took a nap. 13 is a lot after the run on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment