Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Serenity

after the madness.

Found out that I needed to help my father with something 10 minutes before I would have to leave to catch the train. Scrambled mess, running around finding my books while talking to a friend about a fight and figuring out how to cancel my plans for the weekend.

I actually had plans! Sigh.

Worked on the train, knowing that I wouldn't be able to work until after I left my parents' house, likely with little to no sleep. "Mobile Home Dweller".......Snail. Hah!

Yes, I worked on the crossword, too.

Stayed up late with the night owl and got up early with the early bird. Who proceeded to stuff me with egg whites. Then said I should go run.

What can you do? It's my dad. So I did.

Luckily, massaged my calf the night before, so it was feeling better. Still started off slowly because of the massive amount of eggs in my stomach and because of various pains. My quads were tired, too.

Beautiful Baltimore! The sun and the lack of wind was fantastic after the previous two days. And I got to satisfy my nostalgia and people-watching instincts and my nosiness all at once. People out on their stoops, with their doors wide open! Sweet.

Up from Friends School to Northern Parkway, then over to Roland Avenue. Down through the name change to University. Had a one-sided yelling match with an idiot who was trying to turn on red right under a "no turn on red" sign. Sigh. Down Charles Street. Waved 'hi' to all the houses I knew. Going a bit faster now.

It's a bit lazy, actually, to do this route. Most of it is downhill. But I was happy to be out at all. My quad twinged enough at first to contemplate turning around but I realized the futility and settled back down.

Past the train station, all the new businesses, and down to Mulberry, which is just before Fayette. Took that over to St. Paul's. St. Paul's all the way back to the car.

Not a fast run. Good because I remembered about 30 minutes ago that I never took my asthma pill. That could have been bad!

Few people out walking. Those that were seemed calm. After the hecticness of the day before, I felt like I was floating down the street.

The streets were breathing a sigh of happiness. "That could have been worse!" Everyone was working off a collective hangover, thanking the heavens that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Thousands of people had been pounding down those streets just the day before.
Gu packets stuck to the sidewalk were the only evidence of the great race - the Baltimore Marathon - the day before.

Between 10.5 and 11, though I'm not sure if this run counts. It was likely pretty slow. I didn't even time it. Too busy floating.

No comments:

Post a Comment