Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Come-Uppance

"Swimming will be just like I never left!" I enthused to myself, having already pushed the start time back 1/2 an hour.
Sometimes, early in the morning, I can trick myself with fake excitement.
Well, not only was the excitement fake but that statement was a lie. A big lie.

After 2 laps, I felt so out of breath that I had to stop for a moment so I wouldn't inhale water and possibly drown.

The lifeguard on the other side of the pool was busily reading the paper. Help would come from that venue only if I somehow managed to drown noisily.

So I paused. And started again. But it was as if all of the fall hadn't happened. I was even slower, if that is possible!

Wow. And I certainly haven't been doing my arm exercises like I should. Swimming told me that pretty quickly.

Humbling. But helpful.

After struggling through about 20 back-and-forth laps, I switched to aqua jogging.

I actually kept my leg rotations pretty high for that, perhaps to make up for my dismal swimming.

Peace Corps and I managed to stay in the pool for about an hour.

Now to figure out how to get those goggles to stop hurting my eye sockets!

No comments:

Post a Comment