Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

I Eat Pretzels. I Won't Practice Cannibalism.

"First, put your leg over your arm. Next, put your foot behind your head. Then, lift yourself up with your hands....."

Maybe the lubricated salt lick that had been my skin would cause my leg to glide over my shoulder. I dismissed the rest of the instructions. Beginners, after all, aren't expected to followall the directions, right?

Ok. Histerical laughter threatened. Even with all the sweat, my leg was going nowhere near my shoulder. The running that made me injured enough to attempt yoga again was also the running that made me so inflexible that touching my toes is a problem.

Story finder had taken my to Jivamukti Yoga, on Broadway between 13th and 14th, for a little alternative exercise. The difference between our relative abilities was pretty hilarious. She would get into these great poses, while I would be standing there, struggling to stay upright, with my foot held at some very acute angle, instead of the straightened leg required by a given pose.

It was fun, though. Made me think about the couple of times I did yoga with Gorgeous and the Chestershire cat. Less chanting in this lesson, though, which is good for me.

After sweating more than the entire rest of the room combined, we laid down for some relaxation. The instructor caught me with my eyes wide open, counting the ceiling fans and sprinklers. I was rewarded with a towel draped over my eyes.

I can't wait until I can run well (for me) again! If I go this afternoon, I'll let people know whether it was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment