Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Running With The Girdle!

A far cry from running with the devil. Maybe its nerdy opposite!

After having a poor night's sleep, including a pretty bad asthma attack, I woke up early. Too much mold and old cigarette smoke in the room! However, I took the opportunity to look for a possible car rental and, more importantly, a new hotel before the front desk opened. Not having a car was a mistake!
Actually, it would have been ok, if not ideal, if I were truly racing. But I forget how helpful a car is in other parts of the country.having talked to the front desk and not wanting to stay in the room, I decided to clear out some of my jet lag and run along part of Kona's main drag.
Boy, was I nervous! This quad issue has been lingering forever and I've been despairing of ever getting rid of it. As the speedy blonde says, "it's only when you are injured that you realize how amazing it is when all of your parts work.". Definitely true.
Prior to leaving, I took Story Teller up on her offer to help me find compression tights between World Cup matches. What a schedule we had on Wednesday! Rooftop Deck had been persuading me earlier that compression tights were the way to go. "my husband even sleeps in them sometimes, he's such a convert", she said. He's a serious cyclist, way more serious than I am as a runner. So I decided to try them, or something like them.
Surprisingly, Jackrabbit had neither the thigh compression sleeve nor women's compression shorts. Next stop was Paragon, a place to which I don't usually venture. Like I feared, most of the sales staff had no idea where any of the merchandise was. However, after safari-ing through all the levels, we found the compression sleeve.
Did you know they don't make these in sizes smaller than small? I'm glad I tried it on! Fail. Desperate, I remembered again about the shorts/tights. The vivacious redhead had counciled me to try my full-length ones last week but I couldn't face the weather in them.
As tight as those are, I found out they weren't tight enough!
"imagine you are back in the eighties, trying to contort yourself into your favorite pair of acid-washed jeans", I was counciled. "you'll really need to wiggle! That's when you know they're tight enough!"
Ok.......sounds awesome. I am the sort of person who avoids control-top pantyhose. How is this going to work?
Test run today showed that they work surprisingly well! Mine are still likely not quite tight enough, at least at the bottom, near the knee. And they are certainly quite a change from my short shorts or skirts I am used to wearing in hot weather. Vanity-wise, I didn't love the roll-over at the top, a reminder that I've been eating as if I were training without the training part.
But, as I went out and back for my four-mile run by the gorgeous coastline of Kona, my leg felt pretty good! Sure, I felt out of shape and I let a sixty-something year-old man pull ahead of me at the end. But my stride was back! I'm nowhere near my regular fast-ish pace right now but I managed about a 7:30 on some slight hills without feeling too winded. Whoo-hoo!

(knocks immediately on wood)

Swallowing my pride, and maybe a few less onion rings! I might be a convert. Now, if only they would make these shorts/tights in hot pink or lime green......
Covered in biofreeze, waiting for a new hotel and trying to find a car. And happier about the jog on Sunday than I have been in a while. Finished thursday's crossword. I figured out the theme almost from the beginning but didn't figure out its specific layout for a while. I'll blame it on the air travel!

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear your test run went well... Enjoy the race and your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I really think those tights make a difference, although my gainer side definitely hates them. Given all the other vanities I've discarded for running, though, it seems a small additional price to pay. I used to wear cute heels all the time, for example, instead of my incredibly ugly yet sensible walking sandals. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete