Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Demographics

I just finished the Friday crossword and I had to ask, "Really? How many baseball, classic writers, and classical music questions does one crossword need to have?!" It's not like there were that many of each but they were ones that I had to solve with the crosses. And sometimes they crossed each other!

Then I realized: demographics. Just like the Game Show Network, one of my two favorite T.V. channels. When watching it, I am innundated with commercials with tag lines like, "It's easy, with Tweezy!" and "Health Alert saved me and could save you, too!" Hover-rounds and medical supplies - right to your door! - factor in heavily, as well. I am, I am glad to say, not in their target demographic.

Similarly, I don't think I'm in the target demographic for the NYT crossword puzzle. Sure, Friday is supposed to be hard, but I'd do a lot better answering NBA questions, or obscure 80's music, or such like that. They've been getting better about this - and I've also been getting older, which might help as well - but I just don't know what team Ted Kluszewski played on when he won the 1954 N.L. home run title! I had to get that one on the crossses. Among others. That one was especially hard because one of the crosses was the 1969 Oscar-winning title role of someone I've never heard of.

I think I might find a pursuit that is within my own demographic. I don't want to cross over to another too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment