Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Distance!

Got a chance to run with Superman again yesterday. Having run three days in a row by Monday, and knowing that the run would be a long one if Superman were involved, I skipped my run on Tuesday. Bright and early yesterday morning, I was out on a delightful run with Superman! The sweat was flying as we battled the sun over the Brooklyn Bridge, the film crews trying to keep us out of Battery Park, and the crowds of China Town.
Meeting at GAP, we flew down to Smith Street, wandered past the area with the court buildings, and finally weaves back to the Brooklyn Bridge. After stopping for some water and an inhaler puff, we raced down through the financial district, weaving around the tourists on Wall Street before getting down to the water. A filming in progress forced us to weave some more before getting back to the path on the water. We finished off the path at the West Side Highway and ran up to Canal, taking a quick gu and water break before the craze of Chinatown. Over the Manhattan Bridge and back up to Court Street, we picked up the pace until we were really working on the Park Slope Hill. One of us had a birthday party to supervise!
We weaved too much for me to know exactly where we went, and my Garmin has been acting up so I didn't bring it on the run, relying instead on my old-school wristwatch. But, I think I did at least 15, after running back and past home.
It felt great. The pace might have been quite slow, for all I know. But my perceived effort level was about medium, spiking upwards during the pickups like the one at the end. Great run. Great company.
I'll take off either today or tomorrow, depending on what shakes up. I've been ramping up my miles a lot and don't want to increase them too quickly.
Old Sarah would see thirty miles so far this week as an indication of slacking. New Sarah sees this as an indication of mature restraint.
I hope that people can be persuaded to do the bridges run this weekend! That would be so much fun.

2 comments:

  1. Film crews mean craft services. It is nice to grab a piece of melon in the middle of a long hot run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I didn't even think about that! They were too busy pushing us off of public land. That peeves me.

    ReplyDelete