Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

More Running in the Heat Wave

Yesterday, after not feeling ill effects, leg-wise, from running with the speedy blonde, I decided to send a last-minute running invitation to Ivy League. I got to run with him through all the paths and by-ways in Prospect Park, as we were trying to avoid direct sunlight whenever possible. Even with singlets and visors on, the heat was quite oppressive. A combination of my out-of-shapeness and the heat made me start to hyperventilate and get dizzy on part of the run but I was still really glad that I did it, and with such fun company. Ivy League actually started running instead of jogging at the end, so I was far back behind him on Eastern Parkway. It's good to figure out, though, what your level of fitness, or lack thereof, is. At least we did about 6 miles.

Forming a baseline......

Yesterday evening, panic struck. My leg swelled some and was kinda painful. I bagged my run this morning and went to another PT. The doctor said not to run. The PT said to run, but to stop whenever it starts hurting or feeling painful and to bag it there for the day. Plus, I got ultrasound, which is what I really went for. More strenthening exercises and more ultrasound to follow.


Boy is it getting close to training time again......


Trying to stay hopeful! I'll try again tomorrow morning, I think. Bagging the run in Northern Manhattan, though. It's too ambitious for me right now.

Managing expectations is hard when you are managing your own.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry the Northern Manhattan run didn't work out. We didn't make it either because of a concerning twinge in my left Achilles. Hopefully a significant number of laps in CP tomorrow will make up for it...

    Again, good luck with the quad recovery. We'll have to tackle the bridge some other day.

    ReplyDelete