Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

ABCD's of Running

Awake, barely, I hit the snooze in the patchwork dark while my cat meowed in the background.
With a start, I jolted out of bed about 10 minutes later. "I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!" I muttered to myself, swiping my cat with my leg as I stumble over to the kitchen.
Having to put a lot of lights on in the morning again.
Signs of fall.

Birds or bats - I don't know and don't care - swooped and clacked and chattered overhead in a whirling swirling fun ride upside-down apple turnover dizzy sort of way. It was still dark. But I made it. Just in time. I sweated quietly in the humidity as I waited for the others.

Conversation about running clubs commenced. Similar personalities seem to populate different running clubs. Lack of delegation schitzophrenically combined with too many time demands was leaving on of the board members of a DC running club confused and disallusioned. Oh, and conversation about Jenny Craig and diets. I learned a lot.

Downpour just after leaving History at Lincoln and R St NE. With so little mileage to go and feeling great after a slow run, I reveled in it. Rain licking over my shoelaces, slapping me on the butt and gushing through my skirt. Like running in North Carolina with Party Girl, laughing while the water filled our eyes, mouths and shorts.

There was a bit of lightning and thunder at the end but I was a big girl and braved it. I was almost home, anyway.

The rain stopped as I went through my front door.

About 8 1/2 miles.

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous that running is so uplifting!
    Learning to substitute emotion/feeling for "law" can be exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant - Learning to substitute "law" for emotion/feeling is tough. Must be dyslexic today....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easier than you might think! Philosophy trains you to do that pretty well.

    ReplyDelete