Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Sharp Left Turns

Some new territory was in order. Onto Mapmyrun I went, boldly outlining my route.

The theme: almost 360 degree left turns. There were 3 of them.

Now, as you all know, running in unfamiliar territory is exhilarating. It changes up your routine. It makes things different and makes you focus on your surroundings.

It also can make for some semi-unwelcome surprises. Like what I found out about North Capitol Street NW past Wisconsin.

It turns into a sort-of highway. At first, it wasn't so bad. There was a flat part on the side with some grass.

Then, it got slanted.

Then, there was only a small patch of shrubs next to a fence, with cars whizzing past. So I had to stop.......run-in-the-street-ooh-here-comes-a-car....STOP..........run......etc.

Very irritating. And the long grass was itchy.

I checked for ticks. No sign so far.

Here's the route: down H Street NE until just past 14th, where I took my first almost-360 turn onto Florida. I ran up Florida until I got to North Capitol. I took a right on North Capitol and everything went swimmingly for a while. Then the highway fiasco. Up past all the federal cemetaries, I took my second almost-360 left turn onto New Hampshire Avenue. Then, down New Hampshire, zigging and zagging, until it turned into Sherman Avenue. Taking another sharp left, Sherman somehow turned into 9th Street NW. I took that down to Massachusetts Avenue and then took that home-with a detour to the coffee shop on 5th and H.

You see, I deserved the coffee. And I likely needed some liquids. I didn't drink that much from my water bottles during the run: it's hard to feel thirsty when you are being innundated with water.

Shorts, shoes, shirt soaked. From multiple surges of sheeting water.

It looks like it's stopped now.

I am over rain. I've already decided that, if it is raining hard tomorrow morning, I'm skipping the group long run - even though I've skipped it two weeks in a row already.

No more rain! No more flooded intersections!!!!!!

I am anti. Though it could be worse: it could be cold rain.

About 11 miles

3 comments:

  1. Try the ultimate "weenyism" - when it rains hard, run early AM in local indoor mall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek. That happened to me once. I started downtown running up the path along the FDR and I ignored the signs that said the pedestrian part stopped. Before I knew it cars where whizzing by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That happened to me on the FDR, too! The FDR was scarier, actually, because all you had was a little tiny cement curb and the traffic was going in the same direction you were.

    ReplyDelete