Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

The West Side

Of DC - though I thought about the West Side of New York while I was running.

Mainly because the two look so different.

After yesterday's cramping, I was nervous for today's run. But I was feeling better, and had organized the run, so I decided to go for it.

History and another person from Georgetown-an LLM student-joined me, though the LLM student had to turn back a bit over halfway to ensure that she was back to campus in time for a make-up class.

We ran down 1st Street NW to Independence, where we turned right and went by the Smithsonians.

After a bit of confusion, we managed to run around to the bridge just past the Lincoln Memorial that takes us onto the path running by the Watergate. From there, onto Rock Creek Park Trail.

Green on one side, almost highway on the other. Weird.

It meanders, then, through some more park-like places - and goes up some serious hills - before getting around to the Zoo.

From the Zoo, History and I decided to wend our way a bit after surviving the GINORMOUS hill on Harvard Street.

I've only ever run it the other way. I recommend running it TOWARDS the ZOO, and not away from it!

Sigh. Very rough.

So we ran down 16th Street to Meridian Park and through the park.
Luckily, we were able to avoid the massive sets of stairs that would make an awesome stair workout, were one so inclined. I am not!

After saying "Hi!" to Joan of Arc, minus her sword, we waved to Dante and Buchannan before exiting and crossing over to Florida Avenue.

Taking Florida Avenue over to 10th, we got to tour Howard's campus.

I love that campus: it's a real campus in the heart of a city.

Exiting the campus, we wended our way around to 1st Street NW, which we took down basically back to Georgetown Law campus, then turned right onto Massachussets.

History had to do some more miles to get her long run in, so she sped off to other locales.

Wonderful company and a good run.

She drinks almost no water and doesn't eat during a long run, though. I'll have to disabuse her of those habits!

And, the more someone else drinks, the more I get to stop for "water breaks". Heh

1 comment:

  1. Awesome girl - keep this up and you will make "Ripley's Believe It or Not" - PhD followed by JD - and still runs and runs and runs - plus good social life - love the Titian hair - self-description as "nerd" totally wrong - hope to meet some day ;D

    ReplyDelete