Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Re-Enactments and the 4 Bodily Humors

That's what we talked about on the run this morning.

And someone got a joke I made about the hot, thin blood that Aristotle talks about in De Animae.

Heh. I love it when someone gets my joke! And I didn't even have to explain it!

I guess this is what you talk about when you have a right-wing leaning economics policy person running with a Medieval scholar with a philosophy person.

Nerd-dome was high. But it made the run go by pretty fast. And took my mind off of the paper I have to finish for tomorrow.

For school. I feel weird saying that.

But I ran to meet them at Staunton Park in NE, then we ran down to the Reflecting Pool and around the Mall and around the Washington Monument and then back through the Congressional park part.

And, I got to visit a new neighborhood! After that, I needed to tack on some more miles but didn't have the time or the inclination to do a whole 'nother loop.

So I ran with the Medievalist up to Bloomington, which is in NE near the line between NE and NW up past R street.

After running uptown and uphill with her there, I breathed a sigh of relief, slowed down, and ran East on R until I hit the MBT, then ran down 1st Street NE, turning on Mass Ave to go home.

About 10 miles. I'm getting slower. It's not just the water bottles.

6 comments:

  1. Quite an intellectual crowd on your run. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? I've not experienced many conversations like that - at least, not since I used to go running with Party Girl all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why academics enjoy academics even if not in the same fields of expertise.
    Attorneys rank themselves as follows:
    1. top 10% go on to teach law and while they do not make much money, they experience satisfaction. 2. the middle tier join or form law firms with more money but less satisfaction. (they work like hell). 3. the lower tier become corporate attorneys, move to advance careers, make lots of money with little or no satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I think it might depend where you were teaching law, as well. And, having been an academic, I can tell you that making money isn't as meaningless as it sounds! Though academic hours are awefully nice. You have to work your butt off to teach and to publish but you can do it in between, say, lounging at the pool in the middle of the afternoon.
    Oh, and doing the crossword or playing video games legitimately counts as "working". You are allowing your brain to process a problem by occupying the other parts of it with an exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My official title for three long years was "secondary mathematics" teacher. Still, I had the satisfaction of making a positive difference in young ones lives. I did not really "teach math", I "taught young people." Being basically a bit shy, it was a long day for me. Still, most teachers will tell you they like their colleagues. Seems that your great sense of humor and obvious academic talent would really make you not only a great professor but a refreshing lecturer. What does Harvard pay its profs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! I don't have the publication record for that!

    ReplyDelete