Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Gentle Drill Sargent

The Speedy Blonde is determined to single-handedly get me back into shape, whether I want to or not.

Prior to the run, I tried to get out of it. Here's the texting:

"What temperature is it outside? I might not have brought enough clothes!"

"It's 34!"

"Oh. I guess I'll be ok, then."

Wind whipping everywhere, it sure didn't seem like it was 34.

Or maybe it was just that my weenie-meter was about to hit the red zone.

Appropriately chastised, I pulled on thick tights, a long-sleeved shirt, a thermal and a jacket and hat to go run around the outside of the park to meet her on the east side around 72nd.

I don't go that direction much outside the park.

Luckily, I had my phone with me.

While I usually sneer at those who are texting/taking calls while running - I mean, really: if you don't have a small child, these things can wait a half an hour, can't they?! - I joined their ranks.

You see, I forgot that I had to run about 200 feet further than what seems to be the edge of the park to get onto 5th Ave. Otherwise, you are sucked right back into the park.

Texting commenced and the crisis was averted. Whew!

While the Speedy Blonde is determined to get me back into shape by pushing my poor out-of-shape body faster than it wants to go (I even tried the old 'talk about an injury' trick to make her slow down. It did nothing!), I decided to slyly fight back.

"What new did you learn at school?" I asked.

Hah! I got her talking for most of the rest of the loop!

Of course, I was actually really interested in what she had to say. But it also meant that I had her exerting herself more. Talking and running can be hard. I figured it was only fair: after all, the pace that had me huffing and puffing was, to her, a leisurely jog.

Maybe I shouldn't have let out my plan.......She sometimes reads this.....

Too late.

Near the Harlem Hill, she also let me run on the inside, which helped.

Meeting a friend I hadn't seen in 6 years, I had to leave off early and make my grand exit at Columbus Circle.

Thank goodness for friends who are willing to almost double their run so that I can run a loop with them in the park. I don't think I would have gotten out, otherwise.

Scratch that: I know that I wouldn't have! The weenie-meter was screeching yesterday!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you all were able to get in a good run and enjoy the amazing weather!

    ReplyDelete