Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Weird Week

First Philly, then Baltimore, then Manhattan, then Birmingham.

Knowing that I'd have to be trying on satin dresses later in the afternoon, I cajoled my brother into running a bit under 4 miles with me on Sunday.

Fast. Slow. Fast. Slow.

Melting ice is hard on the knees. If I wanted to stop and start and twist and slide, I'd have taken up soccer.

But I don't really do so well at team sports.

Then, off to Baltimore. No more broken tooth, hockey player look for me!

Even an academic ought to have standards.

Dating only a mile away from where I originally lost the darn thing, I didn't have much time for running: too much nostalgia and catching up with old friends.

So, brilliant woman that I am, I decided that I'd do strength training and jumping jacks.

For the first time in about two years, not counting physical therapy.

The week of a race.

Granted, I wasn't planning to race the 'race'.

But I didn't want to go over two hours, or become so injured that I couldn't do more than hobble.

Yeah. So strength training was a great idea.

Just the first example for the week of how, for a smart person, I can be really stupid.

Curls, push-ups, triceps curls, abdominal exercises on a ball-because I've EVER worked my abs willingly-lungs with weights and 419 jumping jacks later.......

"my butt hurts and it's the same day!" I exclaimed.

Smart.......

Tuesday, I slated running with the Speedy Blonde.

Now, I've called her the Speedy Blonde for a reason. It's not an ironic name, like "tiny" for my 20+ pound cat.

And I haven run at more than a jog for about 5 weeks or so. And had put on over 10 pounds.

And had just done strength work, for criminy's sake!

Smart......

Bstttling the 30-mph plus gusting wind and not enough clothes, I met her up at 72nd and Central Park West. Then, with her chatting easily and me puffing and grunting in reply, we did most of a counter-clockwise loop of the park together.

Of course, I decided to run on the outside. Because I was in such good shape.

Smart.......

At least I made her talk more! I wasn't in much of a position to talk, panting my way through most of the run. I made a bit over 8 miles that day, I'd supposed.

72nd back down and around to the transverse, then up a ways and back down and around to the transverse, then back down to Columbus Circle and back to work.

Ok. Maybe only 7 or so...

More smart choices led me to be indisposed/busy for Wednesday and Thursday. Too many things to fit into one schedule and one 48-hour period.

No comments:

Post a Comment