Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

An Interesting Side Effect

This week, I just haven't been feeling 100%. Either because of the cold, or other issues, or general weenie-ness.

On Tuesday, I actually cancelled a run with the Speedy Blonde.

"What! You are cancelling! You never cancel just because!!!!!!"

I was cold. My office wasn't heated. But that's not much of an excuse: the run might have made me warmer.

Yesterday, didn't feel great and had a lot of work come up.

Instead of running, I ate a gooey dessert and watched a movie.

Not sure that the two things have the same long-term outcome.

So I laced on the shoes this morning: I was going to get this run in before I was able to psych myself out of it!

And I strapped on my backpack. Might as well get to school while doing this!

Oi. It was heavy. Really heavy. I had to bring two computers.

Adding to this was my decision to bring a full water bottle, to save money when I got there.

Chug. Chug. Chug.

Heavy Breathing.

I felt some serious tightness in my chest over the bridge. Combatted this by allowing my ire at all the clueless pedestrians crowding all the way across the Brooklyn Bridge to rise up inside me.

I even threw in a few "You idiots!" under my breath, for good measure.

Well, it got me over the bridge!

And, after all, posing three abreast in the middle of a bike lane, with bikes whizzing by, as other large groups of people crowd the walking lane is NOT the most intelligent thing to do in the world - unless your intention is to get hit by a bike.

Onto the West Side highway I chugged.

There was a lot of phlegm.

What?! I told you that I wasn't feeling 100%!

It was yellow. This was reassuring.

"If the phlegm is clear or yellow, the patient will live. If it is black, the patient will die."

So I would remain alive, allegedly.

On I chugged.

My rear started burning. Seemed perfectly reasonable: after all, I'm not in the best shape right now and I had a heavy backpack on.

My feet started hurting a bit. Again, perfectly reasonable: I've had to gain weight, putting more pressure on my feet, and I'd added additional weight by strapping on the backpack.

My biceps and tricepts started feeling tired.

Weird.

I had to think about this one a little bit. It's not like I was doing speedwork, where I was really using my whole body to propel myself forward......

What could it be?

I was using my arms more to prevent myself from falling over, stranded turtle-like, in the middle of the West Side Highway path!

Interesting!

Well, I got there, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment