Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happiness on the Subway

With my books and groceries, I was "most unwanted person" on the subway last night.

Grumbles and looks every time people were entering or exiting.

Like I have a choice as to how I get home with these things!

Maybe I need a 9th dimension pack, which would transport them all in a space the size of a small purse.

But the young man sitting next to me did not complain. At all.

Which was a great surprise.

Getting on at 72nd street, I settled in to the long ride back to my stop in Brooklyn.

Of course, I couldn't just sit there!

So I arranged a complicated method of holding all my bags upright with one hand and my body as I read a back issue of Science News.

After flipping another page, I noticed that the young man next to me was kinda looking at the article. And sad because I had flipped the page too fast.

"what magazine is that?"
"Science News"

"oh, thanks!"

Shortly after, he gave up his seat to an older woman, hitching up his too-large pants as he went.

I kept reading.

It was a long subway ride and the articles in Science News are really short and light.

Nature it is not!

So, when I finished, I looked p. Like I thought, he was still on the train, standing near the opposite doors.

"would you like the magazine?"

"sure!"

Huge smile.

Every time I glance up, he's immersed in an article.

Not just flipping through.

I get up one stop early to collect and arrange all of my bags.

The doors open. Right as I'm trying to force my bags through the crowd that doesn't want to move, I feel a quick hand on my arm.

"Really, thanks again."

Sometimes I love NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment