Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Guest Blogger!

Several times before coming to Birmingham, I was asked why would I go to Alabama to run a race when there are so many great races right around NYC. The obvious answer was that the weather is much nicer there in February, but I now realize there is a bit more to it. In NYC, I've become so used to the races being huge, logistical nightmares. Even with copious amounts of public transportation, I always find myself needing the train that isn't running that weekend or I have to stand around for two hours before the race because I couldn't make the trip into Manhattan the day before to pick up my race number. Even 5Ks in the city offer a level stress that I just didn't feel here. The people were friendly and helpful. When I downgraded to the half from the full marathon, I received a personal email from a women named Jill less than an hour after I sent my request. I only had to leave my hotel room 28 minutes before the race began. And finally, the weather was spectacular. All of these elements allowed me to have a personal best in the half. This is why it is worth it to come to Alabama to run a race. Now if only there was a little less fried food and more fresh fruit, it would truly have been perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment