Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Dropped

I got dropped today.

Biking down to the Iwo Jima Memorial, I knew today was not my day, for a variety of reasons. I didnt realize what a factor the humidity would be, however: on the way there, I started dreaming of my toasty orange pullover. A great eye-candy combination with my psychedelic black, blue, purple and pink skirt.

But I had woken up in time for the run and my muscles weren't too sore from weight-lifting and high-stepping Friday, so I went ahead and started the 14-mile loop.

A new loop for everyone.

"Make sure to run with someone else in case you miss a turn", the coordinator announced.

Well, I tried. Went off and, soon, a group came up right behind me. I ran with them for about 5 miles.

I slowed down/they sped up/some combination of the two and I was hanging on with my finger and toenails.

Seeing them ahead but running by myself. Where's my music when I need it?

Dropped like a derivative portfolio.

This group is big enough (and maybe the runners are serious enough?) that no one really feels the need to wait for you. In a way, that's good: no need to keep waving someone off: "I'm fine. I'll see you at the finish."

But I don't know the area. And if I wanted to run by myself on Saturdays, I wouldn't make the effort to get up before 5:00am to make this run - especially on little sleep.

After the water stop, around 7 1/2 miles in, two other people got dropped, too. I managed to catch up with them and we ran the rest of the way together.

The woman, who I had run a bit with the week before, started struggling a bit on Rock Creek Trail.

I made sure to keep an eye out and to wait a bit for her.

Meanwhile, I hung on for dear life to the end of the run, following another gentleman who knew where the last important turn occured.
Thank goodness I stayed with him: I would never have seen it.

After about mile 10, I knew my legs were feeling bad when I had to switch the song in my head to "Welcome to the Jungle". That's my race song/get your butt moving/keep desperately plodding along song. Interestingly, my lungs weren't too bad. It was definitely my legs. They aren't used to going over a trundle these days.

I never, ever used to get side cramps. What is it about DC that seems to breed them in me like a virus?! I was fending off one for the last 5 miles.

At the end, that Gatorade was well-received. Not a single part of my shirt was dry. It's too bad that wet t-shirt contests aren't usually scheduled for Saturday mornings before 10:00am.

For those of you who know DC, here was the route. It was hilly but quite interesting.


MBT Loop

Start Iwo Jima
Head over Mem Bridge
Run to the south of the Lincoln and Reflecting Pool
Run by the Washington Monument and along the Mall
Run past the Capitol on the Senate side
At the top of Capitol Hill, turn left and run right by the Russell
building onto Delaware Ave toward Union Station
Run down First St NE
Turn Right on M
Right by the NY Ave Metro, run up the ramp onto the MBT
Run north on the MBT until it ends on 8th St NE
Run up 8th St NE
Turn left on Monroe
Turn Left when it turns into Michigan
Stay on Michigan past the Hospital Center
After Hospital Center and reservoir, run on Harvard then on Columbia
Get on to Calvert and head toward the Rock Creek entrance
Run down Rock Creek
Take M and then Key Bridge and then back to Iwo Jima

about 14 1/2 running and a bit over 8 biking.

I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment