Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

I Know, I Know......Just Another Ten-Mile Run

More soup today........weather soup, not real soup, alas.

I've been having a craving for real soup.

Which reminds me......why is it that Potbelly doesn't serve a lot of soup? The sign is quite misleading. It does not scream "sandwich" to me. No. It screams "I am stirring up a delicious batch of soup inside my cast iron belly."

Ok. Put that way, that's pretty disturbing. But enough about soup.

I combined some shorter runs to get my requisite ten miles in.

After running down 3rd street NW, I took in the sights of the Capitol as I trundled down the Mall and back around.

Next, a new part! Back down to Independence and across the side of the Capitol building, braving a steep incline, then veering right onto Pennsylvania Avenue.

New resolution: adding more hills into my solo routes. I've noticed that I have been tending towards the flatter and easier runs. Inherently a slacker? Maybe. I have run a mere three times this week, after all.

Down Pennsylvania and then a left onto 8th street SE. A block or two more like what I remembered this neighborhood to have looked like, then back to yuppy yards and benches set out without locks and chains.

Up to Massachusetts Avenue and then right down to RFK. I like this new loop because I can say I did steps.

When Im in my bragging mode, I neglect to mention that usually shuffle-walk up and down them.

Around the stadium and then back up East Capitol. It's slightly uphill the whole way back. So I feel great on the way there and then start moaning and whining to myself on the return.
Hehe.
Reading this, I doubt my former running partners are sighing nostalgically about running with me in moaning and whining mode.

You see, I am really good at that. To the point where a cat in heat, meowling alongside, might be better company.

I haven't started singing glam rock tunes recently, at least. I save that for Party Girl.

Anyway, I turned right onto 4th street NE and ran down to H street, the better to re-examine this trendy spot in the light of day. The Verbsl Rapier and I had gone clubbing here a few weeks ago but night-time and daylight are very different dressing-rooms. Night-time is more like Glamour Shots, while daytime is more like the Kmart dressing room when you are trying on that new two-piece.

Amazingly, it still looked pretty interesting. Like a fit biker chick showing a bit of hard wear.

Another big hump over the 1st street bridge, then bsck down to Massachusetts Avenue NW, where I went around the block to ensure a legit 10 miles.

Now to decide whether to brave the rain and the long run in VA tomorrow........

No comments:

Post a Comment