Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Potomac Runners

An evening run, for the first time in a while!

6:15, I met up with the Potomac Runners by 3rd and Pennsylvania, NW.

Immediately, people were friendly and open. I felt great trying out a run with this bunch of strangers.

Around the reflecting pool and through part of the Mall with the fast people, before they ran off into the distance.

I stayed back with the slightly-less-fast people.

We went over to the Mt. Vernon Trail and then to Iwo Jima, around the memorial and over the Memorial Bridge.

Then, around the monuments some - including the Washington Monument, and back around to the end.

9 mile loop with them and 1 1/2 more round-trip from my house.

I wasn't breathing that hard - except for the hills! I don't care what they say, there are HILLS here, at least for this flatlander! - but my legs were tired and I was tired.

"Wow, this is kind of hard", I thought.

But why? Then, I realized. I haven't pushed myself very much at all for a long time. Doing that at all is foreign to me. That's what seemed hard: not the ACTUAL exertion but the fact that I had to exert myself in this way at all.

I couldn't even talk that much!

Now, I likely shouldn't exert myself that much most of the time: I'm not really supposed to. But sometimes should be ok, right?

And it was really fun. I didn't speak much but I smiled a lot. In between spitting and a bit of coughy breathing.

Plus, water fountains! I won't have to bring my water bottles!

So I might try Thursday. They have a shorter run on Thursdays. We will see......
about 10 1/2

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good run. I've really enjoyed the few chances I've had to run around DC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun! It was more interesting, honestly, than some of the runs we've done on the weekends in VA. Now I'm torn, though. Do I stick with a group?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not for every run, but I think it's a nice thing to throw in the mix. It definitely helps you to push harder, as you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete