Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Chestershire Cat's Run

Penance. I needed to be penitent after Wine Club and no dinner the night before.

Of course, I was lagging a bit in the morning. Why else would I need to be penitent?

I have done this run with many different people, and have probably done this run with the Vivacious Redhead more than any other person.

But I can't help but mentally label the cemetary route the Chestershire Cat and my run.

Every Monday, at night, before she left, we would meet at GAP, run down Prospect Park West to Green-Wood Cemetery, then counter-clockwise down and around the cemetery.

The subway graveyard looked better with the cloaking of the night, like an aging prostitute in soft lighting and a beer haze.

It smelled better, too, without the direct sunlight upon it.

Gasping up the hill on the last side, leading up to the turn at Prospect Park West, we'd try to race each other a bit.

We are always a bit too competitive with each other.

Then, back down to Prospect Park Southwest, around to Parkside and Ocean Parkway and another race up Flatbush Avenue.

We'd split up near Underwood with hugs, waves and winks. I'd run home to Tiny and some steamed spinach.

Today, I ran it myself. The overcast weather led to cooler, yet humid, conditions.

I tried to race myself up that last hill around the cemetery.

I lost.

I didn't bring water, so I had to wait until Prospect Park Southwest for the first working waterfountain.

The night before and the lack of water during the run served to make the rest of the run feel pretty hard, though I wasn't running very fast.

I did try to race up Flatbush, feeling the perky shadow of the Chestershire Cat dogging my steps.

I waved near Underhill.

No comments:

Post a Comment