Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Ziiiiiiiiiiiing

Sleeping has become erratic for me. I might not fall asleep. Or two am might find me staring at my email with lists churning through my head, sleep not returning until five or so.

Yet I haven't been drinking caffiene for months. The combination leads to some anemic runs and apathetic days.

Thursday morning, my eyes were burning - not just from the pollen blowing around. The lists I occupied myself with Wednesday night included meetings, meetings and more meetings, as well as wine club.

"Ok. It's time. I'll only take half."

Into my mouth oozed half a packet of orange goo. With caffiene.

Not so much: half a cup of coffe, maybe?

My mouth went wide and froze into a gappy grin. I hadn't had the rictus face since.....well....it's been a while.

I couldn't stop! And I was zinging around my house. Flit. Flit. From kitchen to bathroom to bedroom to bathroom to kitchen to bathroom.

Wow. The effect was startling. When I started running, I felt airy and slightly numb.

Interesting, as I had a backpack strapped onto my back.

An additional minor jolt or two, thanks to Superman's shot blocks, got me over the Brooklyn Bridge and through the humid stickiness of the West Side Highway.

By about 23rd street, though, fatigue broke through the caffiene wall. Sweating and heavy-legged, Superman and I slogged through the last blocks on the West Side Highway, crossing over at 59th street.

I think the caffiene actually helped my asthma. Unlike my other recent runs, I didn't get an asthma attack until almost the end of the run. The hill on 59th did me in.

Boy, did I feel like a weenie when I made Superman walk a half block to 60th!

Over to Columbus Circle, where I left Superman to a lower loop and his own devices, I then ran back to 9th.

Whew. I was crystallized by the time I got to my office! Crunchy and Salty.

No comments:

Post a Comment