Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Last Run Home

Or, at least, last run to this particular home. I'm still alive and running!

In my office for the last time for a while. One place I really failed with the packing. There are still books everywhere. I kept bringing backpacks-full home.

Should have brought two bags home a day. But then I would have had to schlep them to my social appointments.

It's hard being so popular! Hehe

Anyway, back from fantasy world.....

The Speedy Blonde and Roll Call had graciously offered to wait for me to be done with student appointments and to run with me most of the way home.

As it turned out, we could have gone earlier, and down the East side, which was both of their preference.

Thanks, guys, for being so accomodating! I wasn't sure when I'd get out, so I arranged for them to make the arduous 5:45pm crossing of Midtown to get all the way over to 10th Ave.

Keep in mind that the Speedy Blonde lives and works in East Harlem. Quite a trek and a commitment from her. I still appreciate so much that she took the time and effort.

I had a backpack, so I was the one lagging behind, as usual. At least I had a backpack as an excuse this time!

Backpacks are great excuses....."Oh, I'd love to do fartleks but I've got this backpack....."

we got on the West Side Highway and started trekking down. As there were three of us, we ran on the pedestrian path by the river whenever possible - a path I usually avoid because of the time of day that I'm often running and because of the stone, which is bad for the knees.

Much more beautiful than the bike path, though, where you get glimpses of the river. Instead, you are right on it, without the distraction of watching for cyclists.

Down through the Courthouse area (I was amazed when the Speedy Blonde said that she had never been through this way before! All those years in Brooklyn......) and over the Brooklyn Bridge.

I got in a few last tourist photographs and gave a few more a "New York Experience" they can tell their friends about.

"Watch it, idiots! What the H are you doing in the bike lane?!" Etc.

Well, you have to give the tourists what they want, right?

We dropped off the Speedy Blonde at the Borough Hall station and kept running down Court Street.

Down Union and then a tough hill up to the park.

I wonder how I'm going to deal with real hills when I move, given that I now consider the hill on Union up to the park from 4th Avenue to be a 'real, tough hill".

It would barely have been a bump, after all, in Durham/Chapel Hill!

Maybe I can improve my times by hill work. I certainly can't seem to get speed work going!

Roll Call and I exchanged brief but meaningful 'see you laters' and I ran home.

Company=awesome run=ok

So much humidity in the air, I was sweating and sweating and sweating.

Plus, with moving stress and saying adieu to people, I had slept about 2 hours the night before.

But I am so glad I ran this run. A bit over 10 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment