Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Superman and I are Breaking Up

And it was sad.

My last run with Superman.

We met at GAP.

"I've got to get to 21st and Broadway."

"Ok. I've got two water bottles and no plans for distance."

"Williamsburg?"

"Sure"

More of the same humidity. interesting: it wasn't very hot outside on Friday in New York. Maybe 70 or 75 degrees?

But by the time I finished the run, I had heat exhaustion. Or, at least, something that felt an awesful lot like it.

A sweaty run at a good clip back to Bedford and then up to the Williamsburg Bridge.

Got in a bit extra as the pedestrian side of the bridge is closed for repairs. For the second time in less than a year. Maybe the surface isn't holding up?

It was certainly hard to grip with the shoes going up the incline on the other side of the bridge. The rubbery surface becomes really slick when there has been rain or other moisture. Gorgeous and I had the same problem when we ran on the surface right after they had installed it.

Superman and I were happy for my water. Strange that even I sweated through my shirt by the time we hit the bridge.

Over the bridge and into Manhattan we went, finally wending our way over to Houston and down to Broadway.
Superman wanted me to run up to 21st. I had had enough of the people and the lights, however.

It was about 11:30am on a tourist Friday, after all.

So I turned around. Tired already, I was glad for the half gu I had consumed before going over the bridge.

Taking advantage of the fact that I would have to go down the longer side of the bridge anyway, I set out on a once-familiar route that had fallen into disuse.

A great urban run, this is.

Around the park to S 5 street then across the BQE and over to Union Street.

Nausea and asthma kicked in right around there. I walked by the police station as I took my inhaler and tried not to puke.

Feeling a bit better, I continued running down Union Street to Flushing. Taking a right on Flushing, I ran over to Nostrand Ave.

Which is where a totally new run started!

Previously, I had always been trying to add miles to the run at this point, which meant doubling back over to Washington or Underhill or some other street to the west.

Instead, needing no more miles, as I have no training plan, I decided to run down Nostrand, in the heart of Bed-Stuy.

Some really neat buildings. And a lot of people standing around.

Stoop-sitting, Baltimore-style.

I liked it.

I turned onto Fulton, waved goodbye to the Applebees, and took a right onto Brooklyn Ave, which I took home.

And promptly curled up on my bed for a while, moaning piteously.

I had lost a lot of salt.

A bit over 13 1/2 miles. Funny how that's a long run for me now.

I need to change that!

No comments:

Post a Comment