Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Burnout

In more ways than one.

My hand is now very interesting looking. It's puss-filled and weeping, though much less painful than before.

Clumsy people should not overmicrowave thick, sticky soup in a above-the-stove microwave.

Schoolwork burnout, as well. Homework is taking me even longer than usual, leading to ridiculous marathon note-taking sessions.

Which I broke up yesterday by carving pumpkins and making a pie for an hour and a half.

And today by going on a run with History.

Meeting her, I was worried about my clothing choices. It was cold and I was shivering! But, luckily, it warmed up.

Then came the burnout.

I ran so few miles this week - something like 34? - that you'd think my legs would be fresh as a daisy this morning.

Not so. Invisible gravity bands were on them all during the run. My lungs weren't feeling pained, and I know we weren't trucking, but I could hardly get them to run.

Half-way through, I started getting worried as to whether I would make it.

And it was an interesting run, which normally partitions my whiny side off and doesn't let it speak!

We ran around the Mall and then over past the Congress building to the Waterfront, stopping by a very nice Harris Teeter for some water. (I can't bring water bottles because of my hand. I can't really grip them or pass my hand through the strap.) Through the Waterfront park, which is my new favorite park in DC, then over past Barracks Row to the Anacostia Trail.

Most of this trail is still imaginary: DC seems to be rife with trails that have big aspirations but maybe not big budgets, where only bits and pieces have been built.

But it was neat. The river on one side, the Senate cemetery, the jail and the old stadium on the other.

Then, up some large thoroughfare past a lot of car parts stores, sad-looking strip malls and Popeye's franchises before heading back into Ritzville and the Lincoln Park area.

Through Stanton Park and back up Massachusetts Avenue.

I really don't remember most of the route: I'll have to ask History about it.

But it was neat. Too bad my legs were not cooperating.

Then, back to homework, trying to work through the burnout.

Keeps me out of trouble, though. Who has the time or energy for trouble?

2 comments:

  1. I should have guessed that you kept a blog :) Glad you took a break to make pie. I'm trying to complete an application, but took a break to make bread and make ahead breakfast burritos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burned Hand??? Horrid for most but especially a student. Mistakes happen when we are tired.
    Like your blog updates! Do you still do the NY
    Times crossword puzzles?

    ReplyDelete