Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Revisiting

The Scene of the Incident

But it was better this time around.

Sunday, I didn't get much done. At least, not vertically. By putting myself into a sad little jacknife, propped up with pillows and fortified with naps, I was able to plow through my homework.

But that was about it.

Some long hours at the ER precluded much else.

That sounds dramatic, doesn't it? Images of tubes and IVs and scrubs-wearing doctors shouting "STAT".

It was very undramatic. Some doctors in rumpled khahis and polos came and went, looking at my mostly-healed burn and deciding what to do to prevent infection.

I went in because it started hurting again, all the while realizing that they wouldn't be able to do much for it.

They weren't. But they did make me feel psychologically better. It wasn't infected: I wasn't about to succumb to sepsis.

I say psychologically better. Between the tetanus shot and the silver sulfa, which I might be alergic to, I did not feel physically better.

In fact, I fainted. That was embarrasing. And undramatic. You'd think it would be a fantastic, exciting moment. It wasn't.

This is a long, drawn-out way of saying that I ran by the hospital, revisiting where I spend my Sunday.

But I was upright and ambulatory, so it was a very different experience!

I had to force myself out Monday afternoon on a run: homework and sleeping was my priority Monday morning, not the group run that I'd rather have gone on.

We can't always do what we want, which is probably a good thing. Otherwise, we wouldnt' be as happy when we were able to do so!

Anyway, I dragged myself out for a running study break when I felt a nap threatening.

First, a mall and Memorial loop. Yawn. Sunny, though. That was nice.

Next, an MBT to the reservoir to the hospital to 16th street and back downtown loop.

Having had some time to heal, my burn only seeped some. It didn't chafe on my water bottle, which I was worried about, and didn't hurt too much unless I dropped my hand below my waist.

I met Xena at her work, where she gave me more burn stuff, then bussed it home.

I need to figure out an alternative to those compression shorts. Actually, maybe not. The weather will figure it out for me. But I'm still having pain at the end of a run and I don't like that girdle feeling.

Hmmm.

About 11 miles. Slowly

No comments:

Post a Comment